Lipid Tutorial Modules 1-3: Globules of Lipid Information Complete Set
This tutorial is a set of 3 modules that discuss the properties and metabolic impact of different lipid sources; the potential indications and contraindications of EN and PN lipids in pediatrics and adults; and a review of the scientific literature currently available.
Module I: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Oils/Lipids presented by Thomas Pavlina
Description: This module covers the basics of biochemistry of oils and lipids/fats to provide the foundation for an understanding of the characteristics and metabolic properties of lipids.
- Identify the properties and metabolic effects of different types of fatty acids
- Describe the properties and metabolic effects of different oils used in EN and PN
- Discuss potential benefits of combining various oils in lipid emulsions and enteral formulas
Module II: Pediatrics and Lipids (EN and PN) presented by Jessica Monczka, RD, LDN, CNSC
Description: This module addresses the role of enteral and parenteral lipids on the nutritional and health status of the pediatric nutrition support population.
- Identify specific impact of lipids on pediatric population
- Review literature to determine potential to decrease adverse effects and optimize nutrition and health
- Discuss compassionate use of fish oil in pediatric patients with PNALD
Module III: Role of Enteral and Parenteral Lipids among Adult Patients Receiving Nutrition Support presented by Anne Coltman, MS, RD, LDN, CNSC and Kelly Roehl, MS, RD, LDN CNSC
Description: This module addresses the role of enteral and parenteral lipids on the nutritional and health status of the adult nutrition support population.
- Define soybean oil sparing strategies for PN patients
- Identify adult patient populations who may benefit from currently available lipids and lipid combinations in PN and EN
- Discuss current research providing guidance on selection of lipid sources in specific adult patient populations receiving EN and PN.
Don’t miss the great opportunity to enhance your lipid IQ.
These webinars are a total of about 3.5 hours and are worth 3.5 CPEUs.
This CPEU opportunity has been made possible through an educational grant by Baxter.